The most taxing part for makeup lovers comes from makeup removal and double cleansing, especially when you return from a fun night out. Your skin needs to breathe and heal after a long day of holding makeup products, sunscreen, and dirt buildup, and the only way to do that is cleansing or, more precisely double -cleansing.
Now the question about double cleansing must have popped up whether it is recommended for dry skin types. The dry is more prone to dryness and skin tightening due to excessive cleansing or exfoliation. Well! The answer to that is an absolute yes! Those with dry skin types can add double cleansing to their skincare routine. But wait! What if we tell you that you don’t need a makeup remover plus a cleanser separately? Many two-in-one/ three-in-one makeup cleansing options in the market contain mild-yet-effective ingredients suitable for dry skin types.
For dry skin types, it is recommended to go with cleansing oils or balms that will cut through your long-wearing foundations and sunscreen while keeping your skin nourished and hydrated without overdrying and stripping your skin of its natural oils. Dry skin types require gentle and moisturizing cleansers that will not strip the skin of its natural oils. The right ingredients can help maintain the skin’s moisture barrier while removing makeup and impurities.
Before we go into our list of recommendations, we have carefully made an ingredient guide for dry skin types. This will help you with making the right choice for your skin health.
I participate in affiliate programs, including Amazon Affiliates, and may earn a small commission if items are purchased through links on the site
What To Look For In Makeup Removers For Dry Skin Types
- Moisturizing ingredients to look for:
- Glycerin(derived from plant-based sources): a humectant(a substance used to reduce the loss of moisture) that attracts water to the skin, helping to keep it hydrated.
- Hyaluronic acid: a humectant that can hold up to 1000x times its weight in water, making it a highly effective moisturizer.
- Aloe vera: a soothing and hydrating ingredient that can help reduce inflammation and redness.
- Chamomile: an anti-inflammatory and calming ingredient that can help soothe dry and sensitive skin.
- Panthenol (vitamin B5): a humectant that can help improve skin hydration and reduce inflammation
- Gentle cleansing ingredients to look for:
- Micellar water: a gentle and effective way to remove makeup and impurities without stripping the skin’s natural oils.
- Cetyl alcohol: a fatty alcohol that can help cleanse the skin without causing dryness.
- Coco-glucoside: a gentle surfactant that can effectively remove dirt and makeup without irritating.
- Sodium lauryl glucose carboxylate: a mild surfactant that can help cleanse the skin without stripping its natural oils.
- Sodium cocoyl isethionate: a gentle surfactant that can effectively remove makeup and impurities without causing dryness.
- Ingredients to avoid:
- Alcohol: can be drying and irritating to the skin, especially for those with dry skin.
- Fragrance: can be irritating and sensitizing to the skin, especially for sensitive skin.
- Harsh surfactants like SLS and ALS can strip the skin of natural oils and cause dryness and irritation.
Best Cleansing Balms And Oils For Dry Skin
CLINIQUE Take The Day Off™ Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover ($38)
- Cult- favorites makeup cleansing balm
- Lightweight formula: non-sticky
- It can be used for eye and face makeup removal
- All skin types
- Formula free from synthetic color, gluten-free, alcohol, SLS
- Main ingredient in the recipe: Safflower seed oil
- It might not be suitable for sensitive skin types, especially those with eczema-type allergies.
Clinique’s take-the-day off cleansing balm can potentially be your frequently bought makeup cleanser. The main highlight of this cleansing balm is its suitability for all skin types. However, it is advised for sensitive skin types to be a bit cautious about using this makeup remover.
Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm ($35)
- For all skin types.
- Free of Parabens, Sulfates
- Clean formula
- Contains natural ingredients based fragrance: Echinacea
- Formula ingredients: Sunflower and ginger root oils and Moringa extract
- eye and face makeup cleaner
- Expensive product
A bit over the budget, but the results are all so satisfying that it makes it worth trying makeup remover for dry skin types.
Seaberry Skin Nutrition Cleansing Oil By Fresh US ($43)
- Melts away dirt and impurities
- Removes makeup, including waterproof makeup
- Helps the skin maintain moisture
- Gives the skin a soft, supple appearance and feel
- Star ingredient is seaberry oil
- Helps restore the protective barrier of the skin to lock in moisture
- May feel heavier on the skin
When it comes to cleansing oils for dry skin, this one does everything that you need a cleansing oil to do. It gives the skin a healthy dose of hydration, cleanses, removes makeup, and leaves your skin feeling soft and hydrated.
Drunk Elephant Slaai™ Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser ($35)
- Best for dry skin
- Melts dirt, makeup & sunscreen without drying out the skin
- The formula contains antioxidant-rich kiwi and strawberry seed extracts and virgin Marula oil
- It leaves a dewy effect on the skin
- Makeup cleansing plus skin nourishing formula
- Some ingredients in the formula can sting sensitive eyes
- For some product users, the cleanser’s texture was vaseline-like. They find it hard to wash it off.
This is an excellent option for those who prefer a mattifying makeup remover.
Holy Hydration Makeup Cleansing Balm By e.l.f. Cosmetics ($11)
- Melts into an oil that can dissolve makeup
- Specially formulated to provide intense hydration
- Hyaluronic acid helps hydrate and visibly plump the skin
- Ceramides help protect the skin from a loss of hydration by building up the moisture barrier
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Available in a mini version for $5
- It has a fragrance that you may not like if you prefer unscented products
- Several reviews report that it made them break out. If you haven’t used this product before, we recommend picking up the mini version before buying the full-sized version. Some people tend to break out, while others are fine.
If you need a gentle makeup remover on the skin that leaves it feeling silky smooth, this is a great option. However, it’s not the best choice for anyone with acne-prone skin. Instead, check out our other options for the best makeup removers for dry skin.
Biotherm Biosource Softening and Make-Up Removing Milk ($35)
- Cream-based cleanser
- Suitable for dry skin types
- Paraben-free formula.
- Leaves skin soft and clean with no traces of makeup and dirt.
- This cleansing milk contains benzyl alcohol which can cause mild skin irritation on sensitive skin.
If you prefer cleansing milk over cleaning balms or oils, the Biotherm biosource makeup remover should be your next buy.
MILK MAKEUP Hydro Ungrip Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm ($36)
- Cream-based cleansing balm
- Suitable for dry to very dry skin types
- Paraben-free, alcohol-free, gluten-free, and silicone-free
- Melting effect: removes long-wear makeup, sunscreen, mascara, and eyeliner
- The formula contains blue agave extract, soybean oil, sunflower oil, hemp-derived cannabis seed extract, hyaluronic acid, and aloe
- Pricey makeup remover compared to its competitors having the same properties and effectiveness
The MILK MAKEUP Hydro Ungrip Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm is the most reviewed makeup cleansing balm for dry skin, and rightfully so. The results will speak for the effectiveness of the product. Worth trying out!
Vitamin E Cleansing Oil And Makeup Remover By Julep ($22)
- Lightweight, non-greasy feel
- Vitamin E protects the skin from things like free radicals
- Helps moisturize and hydrate the skin
- Dissolves makeup, including waterproof makeup
- A little goes a long way
- Has a light orange scent some people may not like
- Some people complained this oil made their skin break out, so it’s not the best idea if you have acne prone skin
Best Micellar Water For Dry skin
Caudalie Vinoclean Cleansing Micellar Water ($30)
- The formula contains chamomille(soothes and softens skin) and organic grape water (moisturizes skin)
- Best for dry and sensitive skin types
- Rinse-free formula
- Suitable for daily use
- Face and eye makeup remover
- Not fragrance-free
- It doesn’t effectively remove waterproof mascara and eyeliners, requiring multiple applications
Best Affordable Micellar Water For Dry Skin That Delivers What It Claims
Nivea MicellAIR PROFESSIONAL Micellar Water Face Cleansing ($5)
- Removes long-lasting make-up
- Suitable for all skin types: Specially formulated for dry and sensitive skin types
- It contains Black and Green Tea Extract: Giving a soothing effect to the skin
- Not fragrance-free
- Doesn’t remove heavy makeup effectively.
This product is a hidden gem that’s worth trying out.
Hydralina Dermina Normal Skin Dry Micellar Water ($28)
- For all skin types, especially dry and sensitive skin
- Suitable for removing face and eye makeup
- The formula contains hyaluronic acid and glycerin, preventing skin drying due to multiple applications
- Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Lightweight formula: non-greasy, non-sticky
- A bit pricey compared to its alternatives
Specially formulated for dry skin types, this hydrating micellar water could become your following daily makeup remover.
Best Eye Makeup Removers
Mario Badescu Carnation Eye Make-Up Remover Oil ($7)
- AMAZON’S choice
- Suitable for use on sensitive eyes: Gentle, non-stinging formula
- Removes light to medium eye makeup, including mascaras and eyeliners
- Affordable premium beauty product
- The formula is not fragrance-free.
- Removing waterproof makeup takes multiple applications and efforts.
This product delivers results precisely like a high-end makeup remover. Try and see it for yourself.
Wet n Wild Ta-Da! Eraser Silicone-Free Waterproof Eye And Lip Makeup Remover ($6)
- Amazon’s choice product
- Affordable premium quality makeup remover
- For all skin types-oily, combination, sensitive, dry, normal
- Alcohol-free, gluten-free, paraben-free
- Leaves behind no pore-clogging oily residues
- Also capable of removing glittery/metallic makeup shadows and eyeliners
- It might not be suitable for sensitive eyes as some users on amazon have complained about the formula being harsh on their eyes, causing stinging and slight burning effects.
- Users have also complained about the intense fragrance of the product
Another budget-friendly premium beauty item is waiting for you to try out.
COME UNDONE Daily Makeup Remover By Hey Honey ($32)
- Suitable for both your face and your eye area
- Doesn’t strip the skin of it’s natural oils
- Suitable for every skin type, including people with dry skin or acne-prone skin
- Doesn’t leave your skin feeling tight
- Natural ingredients
- Hydrates the skin
- Some purchasers complain that they have to use more product than they want to to get stubborn eye makeup off
This makeup remover can be great if you don’t wear heavy eye makeup and are searching for a natural makeup remover.
Simple Kind To Eyes Eye Make-Up Remover ($8)
- Suitable for dry and combination skin types
- Great for sensitive eyes- formula doesn’t stings or burn
- Fragrance-free, color-free, and alcohol-free formula
- The formula contains triple purified water, vitamin E, Pro vitamin B-5
- The deep cleansing formula for light to medium and heavy eye makeup
- It can be used to remove waterproof mascaras, eyeliners, and lipsticks
- Non-drying formula
- Requires more products for effective removal of waterproof mascaras and eyeliners
The OG of all makeup removers. Buy it for your daily cleansing routine, as it removes light-to-medium eye makeup.
Eye And Lip Gel Makeup Remover By Sisley Paris ($110)
- Gentle on the sensitive eye area
- Can remove waterproof makeup
- Does not leave a greasy feel
- Soothes and softens the skin with ingredients like Peony extract
- Ingredients like ginseng extract help tone the area for an eye-contouring effect
- Very gentle
- The price is bound to make you hesitate, but it’s well worth it
Makeup Removing Wipes, Etc.
Simply Soft Makeup Remover Wipes (Unscented)
- All types of skin – normal, dry, oily, or a combination
- Unscented Facial Cleansing Towelettes
- Able to remove waterproof makeup
- pH Balancing
- Safe for use on sensitive skin types
- Rinse-free formula
- No oily residues
- Resealable packaging– prevents from drying out
- Dermatologist & ophthalmologist tested
- Free of alcohol, oils, parabens, phthalates, and sulfates
- Does not remove waterproof mascara well. It can take 2,3 wipes to get it completely removed
Perfect travel-friendly makeup wipes. A must-have for dry skin types.
Makeup Eraser Cloth ($20)
- Every cloth lasts 3-5 years
- Removes all makeup, including waterproof makeup, with just water
- Available in many colors, including turquoise, pink, blue, black, cheetah print, and more!
- Sets are available so you can use a different cloth daily
- It can be used for makeup removal and exfoliating
- Using one cloth is not realistic if you don’t own a washer
- Exfoliating side can irritate sensitive skin
Makeup Eraser cloths are a wonderful, sustainable option if you’re tired of buying packs of disposable makeup remover wipes. They last for years before needing to be replaced, and a simple wash can wash away all the makeup on them.
Organic Makeup Remover Gentle Glow Cleansing Cloths By Ogee Luxury Organics ($24)
- Individually wrapped to prevent drying out
- Removes both makeup and impurities
- Made from plant fiber, so they are compostable
- Certified organic
- Vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free, GMO free
- Jojoba oil and aloe vera remove makeup while hydrating the skin
- Gently exfoliates the skin
- Takes some extra effort to remove stubborn, waterproof eye makeup like mascara
Ogee Luxury Organics offers beautiful organic skincare and makeup products that you are going to fall head over heels in love with. These makeup remover wipes are designed for all skin types, but we love the hydrating effect they can have on dry skin.